Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Oh My God, it's real!!! -or Baby's First Picture, Week 10


That was all I could think. It's real. In proper English, gender neutral, He's real.

We had a bit of a scare the other day. There was some spotting (don't folow the link unless you really want to know) the other day. Now, my wife hasn't been pregnant for 14 years, and I've never been through this, so I think a mild panic attack was entirely appropriate. Long story follows, but essentially everything is fine, and she had her first ultrasound. It was a miracle. My little miracle. Sure, I cried when I saw it. Why deny myself that for some macho ego trip. I reveled in it!


So, I'm a geek Dad, and I scanned the picture and I'm taking it to work. If nobody cares, too bad. I'm going to be a daddy and I'm excited. I sent it too my mom too. And she's full bull goose loony about it. Most excited grandmother ever.

So, there it is. Anyone got any "first pic" memories they want to share?

3 comments:

GODrums said...

Brian,

When J and I went to get the sonagram of Ethan (we weren't sure if it was going to be Laurel, yet at this point), we (me, J, and mom-in-law) were all in the room together and

the doc said, "do you see that?"
we all said "yeah"
doc said, "do you know what that is?"
we all said "i dunno...a foot?"
doc said, "nope. that means you're having a boy."
We all shouted "HURRAH!!!!"

That night the Angels took game 5, I think, with a 9th inning home run from Adam Kennedy, and Black Angus (where we were eating) was not near as loud as we were a couple of hours earlier.

That's one of the best memories EVER!

We are so happy for ya'll. See you at work tomorrow.

Gale said...

Hey Brian...first, Congrats!

"That was all I could think. It's real. "

Yeah...that's exactly what I felt when I saw my first sonagram. Gives you goosbumps, doesn't it?

"In proper English, gender neutral, He's real. "

Yeah...the English language's lack of a gender neutral pronoun gave me some trouble in college papers and such, but I didn't begin to truely do battle with "it" until I became pregnant. It was even harder when, on our first, we had an early miscarriage (don't know if I ever told you about that) and, not knowing the gender or having a name I was still left with the word "it"--which sounds so cold.


Oh...don't want to end on that thought. Here's a funny story from the first sonogram with Kyle (our youngest). On our first, and with Nathan, the earliest sonogram looked sort of like, well, a bean. But with Kyle we were a lot further along than I thought we were, and my first thought seeing the sonogram was "Where's the bean? That's a BABY!" He was fully formed and hick-uping!

Tony said...

I remember a couple things...

I remember the sudden realization that a human being was in there, and that I was responsible for taking care of it... heavy.

I also remember Kimberly taking the ultrasound photo to church, and I remember hearing the pastor's wife say "Oh, isn't that cute, it's your little blog that really doesn't look like anything...", and then I remember thinking "OMG, Kimberly will be killing the pastor's wife now."