Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Book Reveiw: "She's Having a Baby -and I'm having a break down


She's Having a Baby: And I'm Having a Breakdown What Every Man Needs to Know-And Do-When the Woman He Loves Is Pregnant by James Douglas Barron.

The quote on the cover by Michael J. Fox says it well. "Finally, a book for the father-to-be that treats him like he had something to do with the pregnancy." And that it does. This book is all about US. She has a shelf full of books at Barnes and Noble to help her out. This one deals with our unique perspective as forgotten partners in parenthood.

This book is extremely readable. It's structured like a reference book so you can go back and find what you are looking for, but it read so well, I finished it in three good sittings. It won a Child Magazine best parenting book in 1998. Sure that's almost 10 years ago, but let's face it. Our role in pregnancy has been almost unchanged since the dawn of time.

The book is broken up into trimester which, in retrospect, is how I suggest your read it. Then it ends with two chapters, "The Delivery Room" and "Getting Started". These I suggest you read before the time comes.

She's having a baby is always humorous, but it's never silly or stupid. You will no doubt find some of the advice useless, but the insight Barron provides welcome relief and perspective that any pre-father can use. I dare say even a veteran can benefit from the reading.

I recommend this book highly. And the price tag is relatively painless. I provided the Amazon link up top for your convenience.

1 comment:

Tony said...

I wish I had been aware of this resource back in the day...