Thursday, May 01, 2008

Cosmopolitan Man? Maybe more like Neapolitan Man...

So, I read other Stay at Home Dad (SAHD) blogs, and a chain of events lead me here
Admittedly I had never read Penelope Trunks blog before, so I can't comment on who she is as a person, but this particular post is praising a SAHD she's been corresponding with for his honesty as he relates the tale of his affair.
This guy's story seems disingenuous to me. For one, if you talk to a SAHD, it only takes a couple of moments before we start talking about the kids. Men are worse than women about this, because we tend to define ourselves by our jobs, and in this case, our job is the kids. (Yes, generalization here, but it's at least anecdotally accurate).
Now, I'm sure people out there have affairs, and that some stay at home men indulge in this behavior, but honestly, I don't even think about it. One, I love my wife and am completely satisfied and secure with her. Two, I left a job I really loved to stay with Katie, because she is so important to me. Why would I screw up not only my life and my wife's life, but also her life with something like that. I'm not self centered enough for that. (And I'm pretty self centered.)
But I guess, judging by Ms. Trunks post, I'm just not being honest. Actually, it makes me really angry. Women have been staying home since men started going off to work, and no one accuses them as a group of being weak willed philanderers. But apparently men cannot find enough worth in being house husbands to keep it in our pants. And, unless he admit that, Ms. trunks apparently thinks we are liars.
I'm proud of what I do as a dad. Katie is perpetually happy, which is my greatest life achievement. I find time for the gym more than ever. I'm a lousy house keeper, but I'm a really good cook. And, I keep up with my guitar, which also helps keep me happy.
I think the SAHD gig is a good one. Yeah, there are rough spots. I miss socializing with co-workers sometimes. But as far as self worth goes, there's plenty, and my daughter is amazing. I wouldn't trade it.

------------------------------
And now for a diaper change....

Brian
muse.platypionline.com

3 comments:

Aiden Sunrider said...

I think there are a lot of people out there who think because it happened to them, it happens to everyone, because if they can't be happy, no one else could possibly be happy either. Now THEY are the self-centered ones if you ask me. (And as a side note, if I was a stay at home dad, how could I possibly even think about doing something like that, with my daughter around...I mean, I can't even go to Taco Bell without Chloe telling her mom!)

Anonymous said...

A few people, when they find out my husband is a stay at home dad, would tell me I should never let that happen. They were convinced that he would become bored and cheat on me, then spend all our money. I just feel really sad for those wives that have that kind of relationship with their husbands. I feel continually blessed that Brian is willing to be a stay at home dad. Thanks honey!

Kimberly said...

Are you kidding me? like you'd have time for an affair. It gets even less likely when they go to school, because you think you have more time than you actually do and you completely over-commit to everything. (Notice, the blog posts are more frequent in September, then drop completely until after Christmas- after that, it's hit and miss) And it's true your kids totally rat on you. I couldn't even watch judge judy without it being broadcast to everybody.
Mom or Dad male or female, people who are going to be unfaithful are going to do it whatever their circumstance is. I agree with Danny- people are such haters. My husband and I look at people around us- "moral, Christians with good upbringings" and we are convinced we truly have it better than anyone else, and people tell US we're just naive.
My dad stayed home with us for a time when we were growing up, and thats prob'ly the only reason I'm not in the nuthouse. My working mom had the affair (it was with another working mom, but that's another post altogether).