Thursday, October 04, 2007

Rough waters ahead.


I know that a few parents read this blog now and I feel I have a duty to tell a story. It's a difficult and emotional one. It talks about our ability to parent as we see fit in the society we live in. It will paint an ugly picture of me, perhaps. It will paint an uglier picture of our legal system, and it's peripheral agencies. I'm not going to pull any punches. I'm going to take a deep look at the concepts of fear and respect in parenting. The fact will be laid out with precision, but there will be a lot of my personal opinion too. I'm not a trained medical professional, nor am I an ordained member of the clergy, so, consult with the appropriate professional before considering any of my story as "wisdom" to live by.

I'm going start my story tomorrow. But today, I will set the stage.
Look, I can't tell my whole childhood here. There are too many varibles to try to put the whole equation here. So, My mother felt her parents never loved her. Still Kinda does. My grandfather, despite tremendous talent and intellegence, had such piss poor self esteem, he bullied and belittled everyone to prove his worth, and was openly angrily jealous of the casual childhood of his grandchildren. So if you only get two things, get these. My mother loved me ALWAYS, even in spankings, and I always knew it and she made me as a delicate flower. An artist and a musician. And, my grandfather made me into fighter, skilled in physical and emotional combat. And, I have warred between the two all my life.

My wife, in short, has much emotional baggage. It's not my right to talk about her family life, but it left her with a hair pulling disorder she has to this day. She has an ex-husband that was physically and emotional abusive. She is very passive.

My stepson has emotional problems left over from the divorce, and has felt unwanted as custody changed hands several times. His grandparents and father have hindered his mothers ability to parent from the beginning. He is 6 foot, 200 lbs. His mother fears him because he is violent, and also because he reminds her of, and some time becomes for her, his father. She fears to confront him.

So, I am an overly sensitive fighter, my wife is passive and meek (at least in this area), and my stepson is emotionaly unstable, physically formidible, and developmentally arrested.

Powder Keg.

In June, this powder keg finally blew up. And it sent me on a journey I never expected, and will never forget.

------------------------------
And now for a diaper change....

Brian
muse.platypionline.com

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Sometimes "authenticity" is more than a christian marketing buzzword. Thank you for risking the sharing of your heart. We love you guys.