Monday, March 05, 2007

They have classes for that?


I spent 6 hours of my last Saturday learning how to be a parent. Sort of.
I did a combo class at Kaiser Permenente of Breast feeding, Infant Care, and Delivery which included a tour of the delivery room and the semi private suite we get for a few hours.

Now, why do I need to learn about breast feeding? Well, it turns out there were lots of tips for how I can mimmic the procedure while bottle feeding to minimize the chance of confusion that the little girl will experience. I also feel much more confident after diapering and swaddling a teddy bear. Heck, now I can do anything!

And, I know my way around the maternity ward. Information I am sure to forget instantly as soon as she says something like "I think my water broke". I'll probably say something a lot like "She's having a baby! Where the hell do I go?" as soon as I enter. That's me, cool under fire. I'm thinking maybe I should call a cab rather than drive. Yeah, I'm that bad.

Anyway, next Saturday is Lamaze. Which I believe is either the French term for "Husband Torture" or Swahili for "I'm being set up". Either way, I've seen Bill Cosby: Himself, I know the score. I'll have my bottom lip pulled over my head before this is over.

That's enough for now,

Brian Norwood
muse.platypionline.com

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

It's funny 'cause it's true!

Tony said...

Be advised, once you enter the maternity ward with a wife in delivery, you will be judged as completely irrelevant and unnecessary by Kaiser's staff, solely because you are male...

GODrums said...

tony....we are irrelevant....because we're not having the baby.

GODrums said...

monkey #4 is still in diapers...come on over and you can practice.....I get tired of it.

the #1 thing to learn is to let the baby get herself to sleep. I've spoiled #4 by sleeping with him. Thought it would get better after he got in a big boy bed, but it has already started